Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
If you follow me on Instagram, you already know by now that we really REALLY like our oatmeal around here. But we also enjoy a nice stack of pancakes every now and then too. And if they were healthier for us, we’d enjoy them a lot more often! So I took our main go-to breakfast ingredient and tried to incorporate it into our other favorite breakfast meal and tried to achieve a healthier balance by combining the two. Instead of using processed all-purpose flour like in my traditional pancake recipe, I used oats to make flour as the base in this recipe, so we can guiltlessly enjoy a hot stack of pancakes for breakfast more often. With just a few other simple ingredients and a few quick pulses in the blender, you can enjoy these healthy vegan, gluten-free pancakes with the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve just eaten a well-balanced breakfast.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|1 dozen||5 mins.||10 mins.||15 mins.|
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Olive oil for greasing pan or griddle, unless you use a non-stick pan
- Place oats and cinnamon in blender and blend on high until the oats are ground into a powder.
- Add the banana and pulse a few times until mashed into the ground oats.
- Then add the almond milk and vanilla extract to the blender and pulse just until everything is mixed.
- Heat a griddle or a pan over low to medium heat. Lightly grease with olive (if you are not using a non-stick pan).
- Using a ladle, spoon pancake batter onto griddle or pan and cook until the face-up side starts to brown and dry up around the edge and the face-down side achieves a golden-brown color. Then flip and continue to cook until the other side is golden-brown (use a spatula to slightly lift to peek).
For the Strawberry Syrup:
Rinse the pancaked batter out of the blender and dry it out. Combine 4-6 strawberries in the blender with ¼ cup of maple syrup. Blend until the strawberries are completely pureed into the syrup. Pour over pancakes and enjoy!