black bean and butternut squash tacos
are tacos not the perfect meal?? you can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner... even dessert! i swear i think i could live off tacos.. and it's always taco tuesday in my house. 🙌 these are my new favorite tacos and i can't stop making them or eating them! they've got a little bit of savory, a little bit of heat and a little bit of sweet and the flavors of the sweet, nutty butternut squash and those from the savory beans and creamy, nutty avocado complement each other so well.
what's even better is that you can whip these babies up in about 15 minutes with almost no effort involved. they are soooooo easy to make! they're hearty and satisfying but leave you feeling light and refreshed after you've eaten them. it doesn't get much better than that. hope you enjoy!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|6 tacos||5 mins.||10 mins.||15 mins.|
- 6 tortillas (i use organic whole wheat tortillas i found at costco or Siete almond flour tortillas)
- 8 ounces of cubed butternut squash
- avocado oil spray
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cups mixed greens or baby spinach
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- chive cream cheese (i use Kite Hill)
- hummus (i use Hope Foods jalapeno cilantro hummus)
- preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- place butternut squash in a mixing bowl and spray with a little bit of avocado oil (not much oil is needed).
- season squash with cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper and gently toss until the squash is evenly coated in the seasonings.
- transfer the squash to the baking sheet and roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
- while the squash is cooking, rinse and drain the black beans and cut the avocado into cubes similar in size to the squash.
- once the butternut squash is cooked, heat the tortillas directly on your stove top to warm and toast them. this will only take a few seconds per side.
- assemble the tacos by spreading on a spoonful of chive cream cheese or hummus, then topping with a small handful of greens, a spoonful of black beans, some squash, avocado, a few jalapeno slices and a few leaves of parsley and cilantro.