This velvety broccoli-leek soup is like a healthy, vegan version of Cream of Broccoli Soup. It’s light, flavorful and packed with greens and veggies. Because of its lightness and freshness, it’s a great soup to make on a warm summer night.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 leeks
- 2 scallions
- 1 head of broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 loosely packed cups of spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup original unsweetened almond milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- While pot is heating, thinly slice leeks and scallions and chop broccoli florets into 1-inch pieces.
- Add olive oil and vegan butter to the pot.
- Once the butter has melted, add leeks, scallions and broccoli to the pot. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes, until leeks and scallions have wilted and browned and broccoli has softened.
- Mince garlic cloves and add them to the pot, along with spinach. Sauté for another couple of minutes until garlic becomes a light golden color and spinach has wilted.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, sage, and celery salt and stir to coat.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, and carefully puree the soup using an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can transfer soup to a blender and blend in batches.
- Once soup is pureed, stir in almond milk.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions: Top soup with crunchy homemade herb croutons or a small handful of Daiya vegan cheddar cheese shreds.