black bean & scallion quinoa
This is my signature quinoa. I made it for the first time a couple of years ago, and ever since, I’ve been making it regularly for dinner, lunch, as a side at parties, etc. If you haven’t noticed yet, I love cumin. I think it’s such a great spice that goes so well with so many different flavors. I just love the flavor of the cumin along with the black beans in this dish. And what’s especially great about this dish, aside from the flavor and all the protein from the quinoa and the beans, is that it’s so versatile and pairs so well with so many different things. It makes a great side dish to so many things. It is amazing cold, simply topped with avocado and hot sauce. And I also use it in wraps and burritos all the time. Try it, and let me know what you eat it with!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|6 - 8||5 mins.||15 mins.||20 mins.|
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch (6-8) scallions, sliced
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- dash of cayenne
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. If no instructions are provided, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium to large pot. Add uncooked quinoa to the boiling water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, remove lid and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Once quinoa is cooked, season it with olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Toss until everything is incorporated into the quinoa.
- Add black beans and scallions and mix together until combined.