Israeli Salad is a light, refreshing and flavorful salad made with tomato and cucumber as the main ingredients. I love it because it’s delicious eaten on its own and it also makes a great side salad for so many dishes. One of my favorite things to pair it with is baked falafel in a whole-wheat pita.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 1 large tomato
- ½ red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cut each cucumber in half longways and use a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds. Once seeded, cut each half in half again lengthwise. Then thinly slice each piece into roughly half inch dices.
- Dice the tomato into ¼ to ½ inch chunks.
- Place the onion half flat side down and slice into 4 sections lengthwise. Then very thinly slice each section.
- Mince garlic very finely.
- Combine the above ingredients in a bowl with red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper. Stir until combined.