These cauliflower cakes are baked and have a great, crispy crust. They're healthy and are a good way to sneak some vegetables past your little ones. They are crusted with breadcrumbs, but you could easily substitute them for gluten free breadcrumbs to make them gluten free.
Yields 1 dozen
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 to 4 gold potatoes, depending on size
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 1/2 an avocado
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Dice cauliflower florets and unpeeled gold potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Toss with olive, 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until cauliflower is lightly browned and potatoes are fork tender, tossing once during cooking.
- Remove from oven, but keep oven heated at 400 degrees. Allow cauliflower and potatoes to cool slightly.
- While those are cooling, place 1 tablespoon of chia seeds into 3 tablespoons of room temperature water. Let sit for ten minutes, until mixture has gelled.
- Once cooled, add cauliflower and potatoes to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, with some chunks still remaining.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in chia seed mixture, 2 tablespoons chives, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour Panko bread crumbs into a shallow bowl.
- Spoon cauliflower mixture into a heaping tablespoonful sized ball. Roll ball into bread crumbs and cover all around. Use your hands to flatten the crusted balls and place back on baking sheet.
- Bake cauliflower cakes for twenty minutes, ten on each side, or until the crust is golden brown.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare the sauce by combining avocado, 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining chives and parsley, lemon juice, garlic cloves and a couple dashes of salt and pepper into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- When the cauliflower cakes are baked, drizzle them with the sauce and serve.